Rhaphidophora tetrasperma, also known as “Mini Monstera, ” falls in the category of unique species of plants. These plants mainly originate from Southern Thailand and Malaysia.
Also, they are part of the Araceae family but belong to the independent genus named “Rhaphidophora”. The history of this plant starts in 1893, and a British Botanist named Joseph Dalton Hooker discovered it.
Overview of the Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma
The plant’s name tells about its features, as Rhaphidophora associates with the oxalates present in the plant.
- These oxalates are needle type and present in the center of the plant. While “Tetrasperma” describes the four-sided seeds, this plant has (these seeds are produced in the winter season.
- The plant Mini Monstera has multiple uses, especially for ornamental purposes.
- They are used for both the indoor and the outdoor setting concerning their properties off the small-sized climbers. The genus has multiple species (around 100) and is easy to care for and grow.
Properties of the Plant
- Plant habit is herb/forb.
- The life cycle of the plant is Biennial.
- Sun requirements start from partial shade to full shade.
- The maximum recommended zone is Zone 4b.
- Flowers usually bloom in a new mood.
- The inflorescence type is the cluster.
- It is helpful for timber production.
- The container that is suitable for plant’s growth is either 1 gallon, 3 gallons or larger.
Growth of the Plant
- The primarily dry climate suits best for the growth of this plant.
- Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma is an easy-growing plant, and they need diffused bright light to grow fast. So, if one is willing to grow the plant, the primary requirement is to keep the plant away from direct sunlight.
- If these plants are continuously exposed to direct sunlight, their leaves can turn yellow after getting dried. Also, an artificial growth light can be used for the growth of the plant is indoors.
- In outdoor growth, these plants are recommended to get only a soothing feel of the morning sunlight. It is a fast-growing plant, but too little light can cause the production of tiny leaves.
Temperature of the plant
The conditions of the plant’s growth include 55 degrees Fahrenheit to 85 degrees Fahrenheit. In summers, these plants are supposed to be outside, while in winters, they must be kept inside as they are not resistant to the cooler temperature.
Complete Care of Rhapidophora Tetrasperma
- For the proper care of philodendron monstera, soil and fertiliser are required. The substrate used for its care must be well-drained and chunky.
- In the winter season, the cut-down fertilisers work the most to fasten the plant’s growth. While in other seasons, nitrogen high fertilisers will work the best.
- Other things that must be kept in mind for the care of this plant are repotting and pruning.
- This plant thrives and requires repotting once or twice within a year. Also, these plants must be provided with support for their proper growth.
- One thing must be kept in mind: these plants must not be grown on the hanging pots, resulting in leggy growth and smaller leaves.
- One of the common problems that these plants face is the attack by spider mites. These can also lead to root rot damaging the entire plant. So, one must keep this in mind and regularly check the plant.
Propagation of the Rhadiphora Tetrasperma Plant:
The propagation of this plant is relatively easy as a stem can be used to grow the plant again. Propagation strategy takes time and is a bit slow for the plant to take off within water. But the humidity, light, and temperature must be optimum for the proper growth and development.
Preventive measures for the Plant’s Care
Let us discuss some of the essential facts about this plant that must be in mind for its proper growth and care.
- The container that suits the growth of this plant the best is the one that does not dry the soil. So, the perfect container can be either the glazed ceramic pot or the plastic pot.
- In the growing season, this plant grows best and supports a steady and stable moisture environment. So, in this season, the plant’s caretaker must keep an eye on the soil before watering to see if it is damp or not.
Facts for the Ideal Growth
Humidity is another aspect that needs to be considered for supporting the ideal growth. It is a fact that most tropical plants grow best in humidity conditions. Therefore, one can place a humidifier or a pot or tray with water around the plant.
It will assist in the plant’s growth, and the evaporation of the water from the tray is evidence that the plant needs a stable humid environment.
Moreover, a supportive plastic tape can be used for the pruning of the plant, as it will help stabilize the trellis to support the aerial roots.
All these conditions must be kept in mind to make sure the perfect growth of the plant. If the plant grows in the ideal conditions, it can grow to 12 meters in height.
One of the plant’s impressive features is that it can grow in all-purpose potting soil that must be rich in organic matter. Therefore, it will result in the promotion of root growth. However, less drainage perlite can be used as it can help in the aeration of the soil.
Be aware of the Harsh Chemicals
Let us consider different preventive measures that are supposed to be considered for Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma care.
- First, the plant is not resistant to harsh chemicals, so it must be provided with regular fertilizers to reduce the conditions of the plant burning.
- While for the plant’s repotting, the plants’ roots must be adequately checked to examine if root rot is present or not.
- In the case of its presence, that specific must be cut using a sterile knife. Neem oil can also be used to keep the plant away from spider mites. Otherwise, the resulting situation can be devastating. Finally, optimum water conditions must be opted to make the plant thrive.
Overwatering can cause Stunted Growth
Overwatering can result in the stunted growth of the plant. Also, the percentage humidity which will keep the plant at best growth is 40%, and this level will also prevent the growth of the microorganisms.
Buy Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma
This plant can be bought from multiple websites like Amazon or Dutch Rana and you can see the nurseries around you. It is easy to buy and accessible
To conclude, these Rhadiphora Tetrasperma Variegated plants are among the most popular and unique plants to grow. These plants are straightforward to care for and grow for. However, some of the preventive measures must be kept in mind to make them grow perfect.
Some of the significant demands of the Philodendron varieties that must consider for their growth are the diffused bright light, well-drained organic soil, 40% of the humidity, weekly watering, and smooth fertilizers. It will help in the ideal growth of the plant.
Also, you can place these plants in both indoor and outdoor settings. So, propagate the plant and provide it with a lot of love; you will be mesmerized by its beauty.
You May also like: String of Hearts Plant: Complete Care & Growing Guide
Frequently Asked Questions Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma
What should I do with damaged leaves from the transit of Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma?
In the case of damaged leaves must be cut down the leaves using a sterilized knife. Also, trimming the dead leaves will help in improving the health of the plant. You must cut down the brown and the black leaves because they do not produce energy for the plant.
How big do Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma mini Monstera Tetrasperma grow?
Plant growth depends on the conditions, including temperature, humidity, water, and sunlight. The average height to which the plant can grow is between 6 inches to 1 inch, while the plant’s spread is between 1.5 to 2 inches.
How to propagate Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma?
i. Take a stem cutting along with the node and a single leaf.
ii. Place the stem cutting inside water for a couple of weeks.
iii. After that, transfer the stem cutting into the jar and cover it with damp moss. You are supposed to wait after it.
iv. The last step is to pot up at the time when roots reach an inch or two.
How to root Rhaphidophora Tetrasperma?
The plant can be rooted by placing its node cuttings within the soil. You are just supposed to cut 1-2 inches of the stem node and place that in the pot of the damp soil, which is rich in organic matter. Ensure that you consider all the conditions after rooting the plant to ensure perfect growth and development.